Four Wheels Around - A Road Trip from the UK to South Africa

In February 2009 we are setting off on the trip of a lifetime from Brighton, E-Sussex, UK to South Africa. Furthermore, we are raising money for the British Red Cross along the way. This blog will cover our preparation until we leave and our adventures whilst we are on the road.

Saturday, 18 April 2009

Dahab and more Dahab...

Despite my last post where I praised the gorgeous weather of the Red Sea Coast, as sods law would have it the next evening there was a massive wind storm which disrupted the peace! We were innocently minding our own business in a rooftop bar overlooking the sea, drinking beer with a random Dutch guy and an even more random English guy when sand started flying around and we could no longer see more than a few metres ahead. Needless to say we had a hard time getting back to camp walking against the wind. We got back to poor Carol who was rocking around and noticed that our washing was no longer drying on the line. Hmmm...we hunted around looking for our clothes when we saw Mandy and Jacques battling against the sand storm with most of our clothes bundled in their arms. The next morning we woke up to find the last few items scattered around camp, hanging from trees etc.

After that the wind has been more frequent which has actually been quite nice as it cooled the place down. We spent the rest of our time in Dahab relaxing and trying to sort out all our paper work problems re Carol. At one stage we had to contemplate that if the vehicle paperwork could not be amended then we would have to turn back to the UK. It would be a massive shame as now we have got this far I am itching to see more. Luckily for us Alex's Parents, Sandra and Ian were on the case and I am pleased to say that we have had conformation from them this morning that our new documentation matches up and the show will go on!

With that worry behind us we can press on today. Getting back on the road is exciting. We expected to stay in Dahab for only 3 nights. This turned into 5. Yesterday we flipped a coin and heads was in our favour. We stayed another night. This is the longest period that we have stayed in one place on the trip so far. We could easily stay here for longer but we still have quite a way to go to Capetown so back on the road we go! Another day of numerous police check points!

So today we head North through Sinai to Mount Sinai and St Katherines monastry. We are debated climbing the mountain in the traditional 3am excursion to see sunrise from the top. Alex feels this is a bit of a cliche and I am inclined to agree with him. However, we are only here once and a night hike could be quite fun so I think we will do it anyway.

I am getting very frustrated by the weakening internet options that we have. Often it is now dial up which is painfully slow after becoming so used to high speed broadband back at home. I just left one internet cafe and have come to another one as the first computer froze up and I could no longer carry on. Hence why this blog entry is probably lacking in continuity!

Just before I go here are a few more pictures from the Middle East. I am having trouble uploading to Facebook so you will have to make do with a few snippets on here.

Ok so thats not working either, bloody slow internet and old crappy computers. Pictures to follow soon.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home